Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nemo at the Bowling Alley


Of course I've written before about my comics-related travails at the bowling alley, and wait until you hear what happened today.

I went to the counter to ask for a lane and I noticed that the young man helping me had a nameplate that said "Nemo." Of course I had to ask if his name was really Nemo. He said no, but that a number of guys on staff shared the name Matt and they all needed distinct identifications and his turned out to be Nemo.

When you hear "Nemo," do you (like me) immediately think of Winsor McKay's classic Little Nemo in Slumberland? Or do you think of the Disney/Pixar animated Nemo?


Or is your first thought of James Mason as Captain Nemo in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?


Maybe you think of Captain Nemo as he appeared in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic book version or film version)? "Nemo" can bring to mind many different images to many different people but, are you ready for the kicker?

In Latin, "nemo" means "no one."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home