Saturday, March 23, 2013

">urp<" and Swamp Thing

The other day Len Wein posted a tweet that had nothing to do with comics but still I thought it was great. That's right, the creator of Swamp Thing and Wolverine writes some things unrelated to comics!
17 Mar
Just ate green bagel in honor of St. Pat's Day. Wasn't green when I bought it. Probably not the best idea I've ever had. "">urp<""
Okay, so it's a fun little joke, but that's not what gripped me. It was the "">urp<"" (and I'm adding quotation marks out of necessity to avoid having that message-ender look like an html command). What a fun way to make typography expressive, and it reminds me of the way Gaspar Saladino would add stress marks around a lettered "Whew!" sighed by a character in a comic.

Of course Mr. Saladino was the designer of the Swamp Thing logo back in 1972 while Mr. Wein was writing the first issue. Isn't it great when everything fits together as nicely as that?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home