Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Nova #1 for a New Generation


The day last week that the Marvel Now first issue of Nova was released I heard an advertisement for that exact comic book on the radio! I wasn't expecting to hear any such thing and it took me by surprise. (It strikes me, though, as a capricious use of funds for Marvel Comics to be touting on the airwaves a comic like this one with virtually no name recognition outside of fan circles. But it's their dime.)

I am unable to find an audio clip of that radio commercial to share with you, but here is a YouTube video of a fellow fan paging through the issue to show it to us.

As for the comic itself, it's okay. I like Jeph Loeb as a writer and I also like Ed McGuinness as an artist but, if you say the phrase "Nova #1" to me my mind will drift back to the fun John Buscema comic book from 1976.

Pretty much the entire Marvel Now initiative has left me unimpressed. I purchased a number of the various first issues and found nothing engaging enough to bring me back to the trough for the second issues. I am constantly on the lookout for great new comics and I will be sure to tell you every time I find one.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home