Sunday, January 20, 2013

Nodell Tower

Last week's episode of Arrow referred to Nodell Tower, a nod to Golden Age comics artist Martin Nodell. Mr. Nodell (whose portrait above is drawn by Michael Netzer) was the designer of Green Lantern and drew the character for DC Comics throughout the 1940s (as well as Captain America and others for Timely Comics). I saw the gentleman a number of times in the Artists Alley at the Chicago Comicon in the 1990s; he and his wife always seemed so jolly at their table that they reminded me of Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus.

Patricia Hussey was my office partner for 27 years up until she retired a year or two ago. It was maybe ten years ago that Pat returned from a math teachers convention and told me that she had been seated on the plane next to the creator of Green Lantern. Of course I knew who she meant immediately. Pat said she had had a good conversation with him and that that he was a very nice man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home