Friday, October 12, 2012

Robert Crumb at The University of Chicago

Back in May there was a comic book convention at the University of Chicago. It was entitled Comics, Philosophy and Practice. There was no dealers room where you could buy back issues of your favorite comics. Oh no. This wasn't that type of comic convention. This one was all talk. My kind of convention!

The talk wasn't about DC Comics or Marvel Comics. It wasn't that type of convention either. No, all the participants had an underground or independent leaning. You'll get my meaning when I tell you that the guests included Robert Crumb, Lynda Barry, Chris Ware, Charles Burns, Daniel Clowes, Gary Panter, and Seth.

The panel discussions were generally ninety (90!) minutes long and almost all of the proceedings were broadcast live over the internet. I was glued to my computer that entire weekend! (One of my live-tweets at the time was "I add Clowes, Seth, and Ware to my list of artists who look like they drew themselves. They join H. Chaykin and Marshall Rogers.") I enjoyed the panels very much, as I told you back here shortly after the convention ended.

The organizers announced at that time that videos of the panels would be archived on the internet so a wider audience could appreciate them. It took a while, but the videos are now posted. There are three of them, each about ninety minutes in length, and it would not be a waste of your time to watch all three in their entirety, right over here. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home