Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Amazing World of Superman



I found this used matchbook on the ground when I was walking home from school one day in the early 1970s. Yes, I saved something I found in the street for forty years. That's what I do.

The Amazing World of Superman opened in Metropolis, Illinois in 1972. It was a museum dedicated to Superman but, for various reasons, it closed after just one year. Hmmm, another source says says the endeavor ran out of funds before construction ever began. I just don't know whom to believe.

Something that definitely does exist, though, is the 68-page tabloid-sized The Amazing World of Superman, Metropolis Edition. Every collector interested in Superman should own this nice comic book featuring a story by Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson among its many features. Here, I'll try to help you find a copy on ebay. Maybe you even want one of the matchbooks for your collection.

Wait, you're just in time for the happy ending! There is a Superman museum in Metropolis after all! Called The Super Museum, it opened in 1993 and you can read about it and see some photos over here. In the meantime, here's the inside of my used matchbook.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home