Friday, July 27, 2012

Jack Kirby on Long Island


This week over on his blog, Mark Evanier showed his readers the above empty mailing envelope from 1968 that he had just come across in his own files. He explained that he no idea what the envelope ever contained, no inkling of what Stan Lee sent to Jack Kirby in it. The envelope is just a mysterious relic from the distant past.

But maybe more can be garnered from this artifact. What about that address? That's where Jack Kirby lived in 1968? How about if I investigate the lay of the land, I asked myself. Here is a map of the vicinity. So this is a view of the neighborhood where Jack Kirby lived before he moved to California 

I never did get to see Jack Kirby in person, but I follow every lead I come across to try to deepen my understanding of the man. When I hold in my hand one of my Jack Kirby originals, I am reverent about the fact that that piece of paper was on his drawing board and that his pencil arced across that very page. Every time I read the blog of Mark Evanier (who worked with Mr. Kirby in the early 1970s), I start thinking and wondering about the great Jack Kirby.

I have to admit that looking at the map of 367 Congress Avenue in East Williston, New York did not give me very much new insight to a wonderful genius whom I admire. But I will continue watching for new leads.

3 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Bob Buethe said...

That's very interesting. I had heard that Jack Kirby used to live in East Williston, but I didn't know the address until now. My doctor's office is only five blocks away. I'll have to drive by the Kirby house the next time I go for a checkup.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Bob Buethe said...

Here's a bit of trivia I bet nobody noticed until now. Thanks to whitepages.com, imdb.com, and Google, I just discovered that one of the current residents of that address is the older sister of an actor who had a small role in X-Men 2.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger hayfamzone said...

Bob, if you have a chance to snap a photo of the homestead please let me know and I will publish it here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home