Thursday, June 28, 2012

Trigger Girl 6

Creator-Owned Heroes #1 came out recently from Image Comics. There are not only two 11-page stories but also 25 pages of articles and other non-comics material. That's quite a lot of content! But is this a 'magazine' or is it a 'comic book?' The answer is: both. I enjoyed most of the non-comics features, but possibly only because of their novelty. I mainly look to read comics when I buy a 'comic book' and I'll be curious to see if the non-comics pages try my patience when I pick up the second issue.

The two comics stories are highly episodic in the spirit of Marvel Comics Presents and Action Comics Weekly (but I guess you'd have to be a crusty old-timer like me to remember either of those) and, as such, not all that much happens in either's first installment. The storyline that is the most interesting to me is Trigger Girl 6, written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray and wonderfully economically drawn by Phil Noto. Mr. Noto's coloring is especially beautiful, as you can see above. (By the way, did you notice that P.N. is the gentleman who was chosen to add the hues to Darwyn Cooke's Minutemen for one of the other companies? Excellent choice!)

Creator-Owned Heroes, I am watching you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home