Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jack Kirby Himself

The Masters of Comic Book Art is a videotape that came out in 1987. I own a copy of the tape, although I have no recollection of ever having watched it. Interesting, then, that I see the tape position is not at the beginning. Maybe my kids watched it, or maybe I watched it and all memory of the experience has drained out of me. This will remain a mystery.

"Journey with author Harlan Ellison through this unique video experience. Spotlighted for the first time are ten of the greatest storytellers of the comic book medium. Via interviews and examples of their incredible artwork, these artists reveal their philosophies and the creative processes behind the most memorable works of this indigenous American artform, from the 1940's to the present."

That's what the back cover of the VHS box says. It goes on to identify the ten artists as Will Eisner, Harvey Kurtzman, Steve Ditko, Neal Adams, Berni Wrightson, Moebius, Frank Miller, Dave Sim, Art Spiegelman. And Jack Kirby.

Someone, wisely, has posted the five-minute Jack Kirby interview from this tape on YouTube. I learned of it because Mark Evanier wrote about it in his News From Me blog that I've told you about previously. Jack Kirby is my favorite comic book artist of all time and Harlan Ellison is my favorite living writer, so you know I am very fond of this video snippet. Click here to see the interview for yourself.

Rumor has it that one of my ebay auctions this week involves a Kirby comic book. Any truth to it? Click here to see for yourself what all of my current ebay offerings are. And click here to see the original artwork by Jack Kirby that it is my privilege to own.

I already know some other things I want to write about, so it won't be long at all until I blog again. Check back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home